Friday, July 11, 2008

10 promise to my dog



1. Please have patience when dealing with me.

2. Place your trust in me. Through good and bad times, I will always be by your side.

3. Remember that I have feelings too… just like you.

4. Whenever I don’t listen to what you say, believe me there is a reason.

5. Talk to me. I may not understand all your words but I understand your voice when it speaks to me.

6. Let’s not fight. Remember that I could hurt (bite) you but have chosen never to do so.

7. Even when I grow in age (and probably grow slow or weak), please be kind to me.

8. My life may not last as long as yours. Please make every second we spend together count.

9. You may have other friends, other activities. Please remember that for me, there’s only you.

10. When I’m about to leave this world, promise me you’ll be by my side. Remember all the times we shared and remember always that I love you.

It turned out to be a very relatable story. There were several issues highlighted in the movie that gave viewers some food for thought. For instance, family against career, parents’ expections against child’s personal ambition. It also touches on human nature, by showing the actress losing interest in the dog as she grew older and neglecting it when she became more occupied with other things in her own life.

I’m sure there have been times we get so focused in our own lives, be it studies, ambitions, relationships, we suffer some guilt in neglecting the loved ones around us. When you neglect your friends, you may feel better by thinking that he or she probably has got some other friends to hang out with. When you neglect your family members, you may think well, they still have support from one another. But when you neglect your pet, there is no consolation to it as the pet only has you. It’s a good idea to reflect the ten promises from the story, as they are applicable not only to our ‘most loyal friend’, but our human ones as well.

No comments: